‘Ah Ha’ Moments and what to do with them…

I recently had an epiphany…the ‘sudden intuitive leap of understanding’ kind NOT the ‘manifestation of divine being’ kind. (In case you were wondering!)

I was at a conference being totally inspired by the thinking and ideas I heard there. (Expanding Learning Horizons in Lorne) Lots of inspiration, lots of great thinking, lots of new tools, lots (and lots) of talk! (Particularly impressed with Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and encourage all to check out her wiki)

As I pondered people’s willingness to share their ideas and material with us I considered my own workplace and the many other snippets, experiences and ideas I’ve collected on my own learning journey. That’s when I had my ‘Ah Ha’ moment and everything fell into place:

Essential truths about educational change:

• Education needs to change with the times (Der!)
  • Change is not about adopting the latest and greatest tools it is about passion and reflective practice.

• Organizational culture is real and needs to be acknowledged and dealt with for real change to occur in schools.Mindsets do need to change and this is not always easy
  • Teachers need to work in teams to build professional learning communities. These shared experiences will help to bring about change.

• Teachers must build a Professional Learning Network: such groups inspire, encourage and focus thinking.
  • Professional Relationships are important.

• Teachers need to share their ideas and materials. Professional dialogue needs to be open and reflective.
  • Teacher’s teaching is very personal and important to them and this is why change can be difficult.
  • Best practice is not a ‘one size fits all’ model: best practice is really what’s best for your students and your school.
  • It is important to highlight and build on strengths and positives rather than focus on the negatives and what is not being done.
  • Learning new tools, working within teams, building meaningful curriculum and assessment, reflecting on teaching and learning, adopting new strategies more appropriate to 21st Century learners (etc, etc) is not ‘more work’; it is our work!

• ‘Change by Stealth’ has its place and can be used to change practice and, ultimately, thinking.
  • It’s all about passion and vision!

Now what?

Time to actually do something!!!

Connect with a colleague; Start a blog or reflective journal to build skills and understanding; Suggest an innovative program at your school; Form a team; Challenge thinking; Start to build a professional learning network; Share material with a colleague (even when you don’t expect anything in return); Publish your stuff on a wiki and invite others to share; Do something differently and, Consider the possibilities…

Where\'s the passion?

4 thoughts on “‘Ah Ha’ Moments and what to do with them…

1. Julie, your post ‘just hit the mark’ with me at this moment. I had to blog about it on my own site! I totally agree with your ideas and really liked your call to ‘connect with a colleague’. Thanks for an inspiring post!

2. Hi Julie
    I agree with your comments about teachers needing to work together for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that being or feeling part of a community is a key to success whether it be in social or educational environments. Unfortunately it seems that the community spirit so fragile in teaching because of many reasons, is under threat from the performanced based pay proposal, where teachers sharing ideas risk seeing their colleagues take credit and take the rewards. A comment from a teacher visiting from England was of schools where no-one discussed their work, where their ideas were guarded and where it was everyone for themselves – not the type of workplace I’d like to see here.
    Regards
    Judith
    PS – I also take on board your comments about not being a blurker 😉