Wordle is the Word

The visual power of words:

Wordle is a cool little tool that makes word clouds from writing or web pages ‘fed’ to it. It is a great way to discover a focus in any piece of writing. The words used most often are larger so it is easy to determine which words, ideas and concepts are important. My blog wordle:

Wordle Analysis:

Analysing text via word clouds might be a useful tool for students compiling a resume, essay or poetry. It instantly reveals central points and might also show overused words that can make writing dull and flat.

I was happy to see that my ‘Learning Gems’ blog focuses on ‘learning’ and ‘students’ but surprised to see how often I’d mentioned Ning. I must enjoy the collaborative and social nature of learning a lot without realising it!

Wordle poetry

Wordle also lends itself to the quick easy creation of visually appealing poetry and other creative writing. My wordle poem on spring captures many of my thoughts on my favourite season:

3 thoughts on “Wordle is the Word

1. Had to respond. Love your Blog. Keep up the great work. You have a lot of information here. I will visit often and add you to my blog roll on my edublog. I discovered Wordle this summer and have been making a list of what I would like to do with it. You have inspired me. I will go blog about it, right now. Thanks, and visit whenever you get a chance.
    Plurk & Twitter: Love2Teach
    http://suzannedekorsi.edublogs.org/

2. Been working with this all day. I cannot get my wordle to show up on my blog. It keeps putting a link for people to download. I just want it to show up, like yours. Any tips?

3. This is a great blog. The sharing of ideas is wonderful and can only make the experience of our students all the richer. We are using Wordle in one of our book week activities this year as well as a few other web2.0 tools. We think thet the kids will have great fun constucting their own wordles for books that they like.